Important Information for Landlords

Landlords Requirements

Electrical Safety

If you let property you must ensure than the electrical system and all the appliances supplied are safe - failure to comply with the electrical equipment (safety) regulations 1994 and the consumer protection act 1987 is a criminal offence and may result in :

These regulations are inforced by the Health and Safety Executive

There is no statutory requirement to have annual safety equipment checks on electrical equipment as there is with gas, but it is advisable for landlords to have periodic checks done by a qualified electrician.

Landlord guide

It is important to insure that all electrical appliances and fittings within the property are safe and in good working order. Unlike gas regulations, there is no law that says you must have a landlord electrical safety certificate. But, should any of the electrical fittings or appliances within your rental property cause harm to a tenant you could be held liable. The tenant could sue you for damages and or worse you may be brought before a court for negligence under the regulations.

Manage your property well and the risks to you as a landlord or agent are minimal, but manage it badly and your risks are high.

You are advised to make visual inspections yourself as a landlord or agent in residential properties (record on a safer checklist) and have periodic checks carried out by a qualified electrician.

If you are in doubt about the wiring or safety of appliances consult a qualified electrician.


There is no statutory obligation on landlords or agents to have professional checks carried out on the electrical system or appliances. However, under the electrical equipment (safety) regulations 1994, the plugs and sockets (safety) regulations 1994, both of which come under the consumer protection act 1987, there is an obligation to ensure that all electrical equipment is safe.

In January 2005 new legislation under Part P of the building regulations made it a requirement that for certain types of electrical work in dwellings, plus garages, sheds, greenhouses and outbuildings comply with the standards. This means that a competent electrician must carry out the work. For DIY electrical work you must belong to one of the government approved competent person self-certification schemes or submit a building notice to the local authority before doing the work.


We would strongly recommend that any landlord, regardless of whether they see themselves as running a business or not should make absolutely sure they are complying with these regulations to ensure that all electrical equipment is safe.

In order to do this we recommend:

Due Diligence

In the event of a tenant complaint or an incident the defense of 'due diligence' may be accepted where it can be shown that the landlord or agent too all reasonable steps to avoid committing an offence - you will need documentary evidence of this.

A Private owner letting a singe dwelling (not in the course of business) may have a defense, whereas an agent acting on his behalf will not. However an agent merely introducing a tenant and not becoming involved in the inventory or management of the tenancy my well be exempt from liability.



Home Page | Contact Us | ©2009 Visual Web Design Studio -